Jump to navigation
Brooklyn Dodgers protective cap, 1941
Blue uniform cap with insignia of a white capital "B" embroidered on the front. Interior has plastic protective inserts sewn into panels.
Brooklyn baseball cap with plastic insert protectors used by the Brooklyn Dodgers during Spring Training in 1941 for the first time. This protective cap was invented by Dr. Walter E. Dandy, a brain specialist at Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Dr. George Bennett, also of Johns Hopkins Hospital. President Larry McPhail of the Dodgers ordered a supply of these caps made up for the Dodgers to use in the 1941 season. This was a precursor to the modern batting helmet.
Brooklyn Dodgers (Baseball team)
Spring training (Baseball)
7 x 5 x 10 in.
National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
25 Main Street,
Cooperstown, NY 13326
Phone: 1-888-HALL-OF-FAME | 607-547-7200 | Fax: 607-547-2044